Unified License (Definitions)
Unless the context otherwise requires, the different terms and expression used shall have the meaning assigned to them in the following paragraphs:
1. ACCESS GATEWAY (AG): The AG is located in the s network. It supports the line side interface to the core IP network for use by phones, devices, and PBXs. This element provides functions such as media conversion (circuit to Packet, Packet to circuit) and echo control.
2. ACCESS SERVICES (AS) means telecommunication service provided to subscribers by means of a telecommunication system for the conveyance of voice or non-voice messages through wired or wireless telegraphy on the network of the Access Service Provider. The subscriber shall have identity indicated by a number or any other address approved by the Licensor. The subscriber shall be registered and authenticated by the network of Access Service Provider. Access Service does not cover broadcasting of any voice or non-voice messages. However, Cell Broadcast is permitted only to the subscribers of the service. Scope of Service provided under the Access Service Authorization shall be governed by the terms and conditions as provided in Chapter VIII.
3. ACCESS SPECTRUM means the Radio Frequency Spectrum allotted for use to carry voice or non-voice messages from subscriber terminal to the Base Station/designated point of aggregation. Note: The Access Spectrum for the purpose of this license shall mean spot frequency allocation in frequency bands considered for spectrum cap in Notice Inviting Applications (NIA’s) of auction of spectrum from November 2012 onward. At present, such frequency bands are in 800/900/1800/2100/2300/2500 Mhz bands.
4. APPLICABLE SYSTEMS means all the necessary equipment, systems / sub-systems and components of the network engineered to meet relevant ITU standards, ITU-T, ITU-R recommendations, TEC specifications and International standardization bodies, such as, ITU, ETSI, IEEE, ISO, IEC etc. or International Fora, viz., 3GPP, 3GPP-2, IETF, MEF, WiMAX, Wi-Fi, IPTV, IPv6, etc. for provision of SERVICE in accordance with operational, technical and quality requirements and other terms and conditions of the License Agreement.
5. AUDITOR means the Licensee’s auditor for the time for the purpose and in accordance with the provisions of the Companies Act, 1956.
6. BASE STATION means a fixed radio transmitter/receiver station, which provides a link between the Mobile Station and Mobile Switching Centre.
7. BASE STATION CONTROLLER (BSC) means a network element to control a set of base stations and connected to such Base Stations through certain transmission media.
8. BSNL means Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited and/ or its successors.
9. CALLING LINE IDENTIFICATION (CLI) means identity of the calling/originating subscriber in terms of the telephone number assigned as per E.164 of ITU Recommendation/IP Address or any other identification as may be prescribed by the Licensor from time to time.
10. CELL means a geographical area served by Station for Wireless Telegraphy which is dedicated to transmitting or receiving Messages which have been or are to be conveyed by Telecommunication systems designed or adapted to, and capable of being used while in motion situated for the time being in that area.
11. CELLULAR MOBILE TELEPHONE SERVICE (CMTS) means a mobile telecommunication service provided through a radio network distributed over geographical areas called Cells, each served by at least one Base Station and in which the radio frequencies are used to connect the Mobile Stations to telecommunication systems which are designed or adapted to be capable of being use while in motion and are assigned automatically. Further, the system providing the service is capable of handing-off the messages automatically, while the Mobile Station moves from Cell to Cell.
12. CLOSED USER GROUP (CUG): A Closed User Group is Permissible for following categories of business association:-
i) Producer of goods and his trader/agent;
ii) Provider of service and his trader/agent;
iii) Producer of same category of goods (e.g. manufactures of petroleum products); and
iv) Provider of the same category of service (e.g. bank).
Provided that ultimate consumer of a service or a product shall not be a part of the Closed User Group.
A Closed User Group can also be formed among a holding company and its subsidiaries, these terms being defined as per the Companies Act 1956. Provided that such Closed User Group shall be only for the purposes of legitimate internal business communications of the group.
13. CONNECTABLE SYSTEM means a telecommunication system which is authorized to be run under a License to provide public telecommunications service and is authorized to be connected to the Applicable system.
14. CUSTOMER means any person or legal entity, which subscribes to / avails of the service from the Licensee. I and ‘Subscriber’ have been used interchang
15. DESIGNATED AUTHORITY means the entity who is authorized or empowered by the Licensor to issue instructions and to seek adherence to them.
16. DIRECT EXCHANGE LINE (DEL) means a telephone connection between the subscriber’s terminal equipmen
17. DISPUTES SETTLEMENT: As per provisions of Telecom Regulatory Authority of India Act, 1997, the dispute between Licensee and the Licensor shall be settled in the Telecom Disputes Settlement and Appellate Tribunal, if such dispute arises out of or connected with the provisions of this AGREEMENT. In the event of any amendment or modification or replacement of TRAI Act, 1997 such modified provisions shall apply for adjudication of the said dispute.
18. DOMAIN NAME means address of a computer, organization, or entity on a TCP/IP network such as Internet.
19. DOT means Department of Telecommunications, Government of India who is also the Licensor. DoT & Licensor, wherever used in the License agreement are inter-changeable.
20. EFFECTIVE DATE OF LICENSE means the date which is so specified in this License agreement.
21. EFFECTIVE DATE OF SPECTRUM means the date which is so specified in the terms and conditions of the auction/allotment of spectrum.
22. EMERGENCY means a emergency of any kind, including any circumstances resulting from major accidents, natural/man-made disasters and incidents involving toxic or radio-active materials or as declared by Govt. from time to time.
23. EMERGENCY SERVICES means the relevant public, police, fire, ambulance, coast guard or any other services so declared by the Licensor.
24. ENGINEERING: The technical application of the dimensioning rules and results thereof in order to provide network resources to meet specified Grade of Service (GOS).
25. ENTRY FEE: The prescribed non-refundable amount of fee to be paid before signing of the license agreement to provide authorized Services in a Service Area.
26. FUNDAMENTAL PLAN includes Numbering Plan, Traffic Routing and Switching Plan, Signalling Plan and Transmission Plan issued by Department of Telecom as amended from time to time.
27. GATEWAY MOBILE SWITCHING CENTRE means a Mobile Switching Centre with an additional functionality that allow the mobile network to interface with other network.
28. GLOBAL MOBILE PERSONAL COMMUNICATIONS BY SATELLITE (GMPCS) system means “any satellite system (i.e. fixed or mobile, broad-band or narrow-band, global or regional, geo-stationary or non geo-stationery, existing or planned) providing telecommunication services directly to end users from a single or constellation of satellites”.
29. HOME NETWORK means the network established by the Licensee from which its subscriber normally receive the service.
30. ICC means INSAT Coordination Committee.
31. ILD POINT OF PRESENCE (POP) means a technical arrangement made by International Long Distance Service Operator under which it can accept outgoing calls from and deliver terminating calls to the area required to be served from such POP. It is expected that switch capacity and bandwidth of the interconnecting link would be dimensioned by International Long Distance Operator based upon its projections of the traffic to be carried by POP”.
32. INFRASTRUCTURE PROVIDER means a company registered with DoT as IP-I providing inactive elements of the telecom network including dark fibers, right of way, duct space, towers etc. as well as IP-II LICENSEEs who provide end-to-end bandwidth to telecom service providers.
33. INSAT-MSS REPORTING SERVICE means a one way Satellite based messaging service available through INSAT. The basic nature of this service is to provide a reporting channel via Satellite to the group of people, who by virtue of their nature of work are operating from remote locations without any telecom facilities and need to send short textual message or short data occasionally to a central station. The service provides one way message reporting (Transmit only) facility from anywhere in India (Restricted to Geographical boundaries of India). INSAT-MSS Reporting Service is a low speed data service with the maximum capacity limited to 300 bps.
34. INSAT SATELLITE SYSTEM means Indian satellite system in which the satellites are either built or procured by the Department of Space (DOS), Government of India. DOS may lease transponders from other satellite systems to augment the capacity of the INSAT satellite system.
35. INSTALLED CAPACITY means the total number of lines for which switching equipment is available in the exchange for connection of subscribers.
36. INTERCONNECTION is as defined by the TRAI in its relevant regulations.
37. INTERNATIONAL LONG DISTANCE NETWORK means a network of transmission and switching elements connected in a predetermined fashion to provide international bandwidth/switched bearer interconnection from/to POP of the ILD Service Provider to/from the International destination.
38. INTERNATIONAL LONG DISTANCE SERVICE means provision of international bandwidth/switched bearer interconnection over the International Long Distance Network of the Licensee. Scope of Service provided under the ILD Service Authorization shall be governed by the terms and conditions as provided in Chapter XI.
39. INTERNATIONAL PRIVATE LEASED CIRCUIT: International Private Leased Circuit is defined as point to point non-switched physical connections/transmission bandwidth including virtual private network (VPN) using circuit or packet switched technology between user in India and user abroad.
40. INTERNET LEASED LINE (ILL) means any dedicated link (on wired or wireless media) from a port on Internet node to subscriber premises having un-contended and symmetrical full duplex capacity.
41. INTER–CIRCLE TRAFFIC means the Long Distance traffic originating in one Telecom Circle/Metro Area and terminating in another Telecom Circle/Metro Area.
42. INTRA-CIRCLE TRAFFIC means the traffic originating and terminating within boundaries of the same Telecom Circle/Metro Area.
43. IPTV (Internet Protocol Television) service (or technology) is a convergence service (or technology) of the telecommunications and broadcasting through QoS controlled Broadband Convergence IP Network including wire and wireless for the managed, controlled and secured delivery of a considerable number of multimedia contents such as Video, Audio, data and applications processed by platform to a customer via Television, PDA, Cellular, and Mobile TV terminal with STB module or similar device.
44. INTERNET: Internet is a global information system that:
(i) is logically linked together by a globally unique address, based on Internet Protocol(IP) or its subsequent enhancements/upgradations;
(ii) is able to support communications using the Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) suite or its subsequent enhancements/upgradations, and all other IP compatible protocols;
45. IP ADDRESSES: Operation of Internet services requires IP address which can have up to 128 bit binary address or higher in future. This address is required for connection on Internet. Typically, it is required for the ports of the routers, for the user end equipments/devices etc.
46. INTERNET TELEPHONY means transfer of message(s) including voice signal(s) through public internet.
47. LEASED CIRCUIT: Leased circuit is defined as point to point non-switched physical connections/transmission bandwidth including virtual private network (VPN) using circuit or packet switched technology.
48. LENDER means the parties referred to in the Schedule of the Tripartite Agreement and includes any Syndicate member or participant lender in any syndicate/participation financing.
49. LICENSE means a License granted or having effect as if granted under section 4 of the Indian Telegraph Act 1885 and Indian Wireless Act 1933.
50. LICENSE FEE means a fee payable by Licensee at prescribed intervals and rates for the period of the License.
51. LICENSEE: A registered Indian Company that has been awarded License to provide service(s) authorized under the License, within the geographical boundaries of the specified Service Area.
52. LOCAL CALLS mean calls originating and terminating within the same local area, which are charged at local call rates. Remote Subscribers’t (RSU)/ Remote Line Unit (RLU) Concentrators/Media Gateway having switching functions will be treated as an exchange for the purposes of this definition. For Basic Service, the SDCA is local area and for mobile network, the Service area is local area.
53. LONG DISTANCE NETWORK is a network of transmission and switching elements connected in a predetermined fashion to provide bandwidth /switched bearer interconnection between different SDCAs/SDCCs. Physically the network elements may be co-located or be a part of bigger elements.
54. LONG DISTANCE CALL is defined as a call terminating in a local area other than that in which it is originated.
55. LONG DISTANCE CHARGING AREA (LDCA) means one of the several areas into which the country is divided and declared as such for the purpose of charging for trunk calls which generally is co-terminus with Secondary Switching Area.
56. LONG DISTANCE CHARGING CENTRE (LDCC): A particular Trunk Exchange/Location in a Long Distance Charging Area declared as such for the purpose of charging long distance calls. LDCCs are generally co-terminus with Head Quarters of SSAs.
57. MESSAGE means anything falling within sub-section (3) of section 3 of the Indian Telegraph Act 1885.
58. MOBILE NUMBER PORTABILITY (MNP) means a facility which allows subscribers to retain their existing telephone number when they switch from one access service provider to another irrespective of mobile technology or from one technology to another of the same or any other access service provider.
59. MOBILE STATION means a station in the mobile service intended to be used while in motion or during halts at unspecified points. Mobile station or mobile handset or user terminal wherever used in the License agreement, are inter-changeable.
60. MOBILE SWITCHING CENTRE (MSC) means the switching equipment installed as a part of the network which performs all switching functions of calls for providing various services under the scope of this License.
61. MEDIA GATEWAY CONTROLLER (MGC) OR SOFTSWITCH CALL SERVER (CS), CALL AGENT, CALL CONTROLLER: The Media Gateway Controller is locate network and handles call control and authorize functions, typically maintaining call state for every call in the network. A MGC interacts with Application Servers to provide services that are not directly hosted on MGC in Packet Based networks .It handles the registration and management of resources at the media gateway. A media gateway controller exchanges messages with central office switches via a signaling gateway. It processes the signaling for all types of packet protocols. It controls connection services for a media gateway and/or native IP endpoints, selects processes that can be applied to a call, provides routing for a call within the network based on signaling and customer database information, transfers control of the call to another network element, and interfaces to and support management functions such as provisioning, fault, billing, etc.
62. MEDIA GATEWAY (MG): A protocol converter that interfaces a traditional public switched telephone network (PSTN), or device running PSTN protocols, with a device running the Internet protocol (IP) suite. As the Media Gateway connects different types of networks, one of its main functions is to convert between the different transmission and coding techniques. Media streaming functions such as echo cancellation, DTMF, and tone sender are also located in the Media Gateways.
63. MTNL means Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited.
64. NATIONAL LONG DISTANCE NETWORK is a network of transmission and switching elements connected in a predetermined fashion to provide bandwidth /switched bearer interconnection between SDCAs/SDCCs of two Telecom Circles/Metro Areas. Physically the network elements may be co-located or be a part of bigger elements.
65. NATIONAL LONG DISTANCE (NLD) SERVICE refers to the provision of bandwidth / carriage of switched bearer telecommunication service over the national long distance network of the Licensee between SDCAs/SDCCs of two Telecom Circles/Metro Areas. Scope of Service provided under the NLD Service Authorization shall be governed by the terms and conditions as provided in Chapter X.
66. NATIONAL LONG DISTANCE SERVICE PROVIDER is the telecom service provider providing the required digital capacity to carry long distance telecommunication service within the scope of License for National Long Distance Service, which may include various types of tele-services defined by the ITU, such as voice, data, fax, text, video and multi-media etc.
67. NETWORTH shall mean the sum total, in Indian rupees, of paid up equity capital and free reserves and surplus net of accumulated losses converted at the prevalent conversion rate indicated by the Reserve Bank of India on the date of the application.
68. Next Generation Network (NGN): As per ITU-T recommendation Y.2001, A Next Generation Network (NGN) is a packet-based network able to provide services including Telecommunication Services and able to make use of multiple broadband, QoS-enabled transport technologies and in which service-related functions are independent from underlying transport-related technologies. It offers unrestricted access by users to different service providers. It supports generalized mobility which will allow consistent and ubiquitous provision of services to users.
69. NOCC means Network Operations Control Centre of the Department of Telecom, Government of India.
70. OTHER SERVICE PROVIDER (OSP) means Indian company registered with DoT to provide application services like tele-banking, tele-medicine, tele-education, tele-trading, e-commerce, Call center, network operation centre and other IT enabled services by using telecom facilities provided by various Telecom Licensees.
71. OR/QR (OPERATIONAL /QUALITY REQUIREMENT) SPECIFICATIONS means technical and quality requirements contained in the OR/QR Specifications of Telecom Engineering Centre, Department of Telecommunications unless otherwise specified.
72. POINT OF INTERCONNECTION (POI) means authorized interconnection point for ingress and egress of traffic among the interconnecting applicable systems of service providers in accordance with TRAI regulations/orders.
73. POINT OF PRESENCE (POP) means applicable system of appropriate capacity set up by the Service Provider to provide, on demand, service of prescribed quality and grade of service in a non-discriminatory manner.
74. PUBLIC LAND MOBILE NETWORK (PLMN) means a specified switched public land based telephone network providing mobile telecom services.
75. PUBLIC SWITCHED TELEPHONE NETWORK (PSTN) means a specified switched public telephone network providing fixed and/or limited mobility two-way switched telecommunications service to the general public.
76. PUBLIC UTILITY SERVICE: means a service, as declared by the Licensor from time to time, for use of general public by access through telecommunication links.
77. QUALITY OF SERVICE: Quality of Service is evaluated on the basis of observable measure on the grade of service, Calls lost due to wrong processing, the bit error rate or the response time and also includes acceptable grade of number of faults per unit population of the subscriber served, the mean time to restore (MTTR), faults carried over beyond the MTTR and the satisfactory disposal thereof.
78. RADIO TRANSMITTER means the Radio Transmitter and Receiver at base stations.
79. ROAMING means the facility to a customer to avail services subscribed in its home network, while travelling outside the geographical coverage area of the home network, by means of using a visited network. For Access Services, the scope of roaming facility shall be as provided in the Access Service Authorization in Chapter VIII.
80. SATCOM means Satellite Telecommunication.
81. SECONDARY SWITCHING AREA means an area covered by a group of Short Distance Charging Areas (SDCAs) as per Annexure –VII.
82. SERVICE means collection, carriage, transmission and delivery of messages over Licensee’s network in Servic this License.
83. SERVICE AREA means the specified geographical area for which service authorization has been granted under this license. For NLD, ILD, VSAT, INSAT MSS-R, GMPCS, IPLC and ISP Category service area is geographical area of the country. For Access Service, PMRTS and ISP Category “B” services,areatheofa servic Telecom Circle/Metro as mentioned in Annexure-V. For ISP Categor services, the service area is geographical area of an SSA as mentioned in Annexure-VII.
84. SERVICE PROVIDERS means Telecom service provider licensed under Section 4 of the Indian Telegraph Act 1885 for provision of service
85. SHORT DISTANCE CHARGING AREA (SDCA) means one of the several areas into which a Long Distance Charging Area is divided and declared as such for the purpose of charging for trunk calls and within which the local call charges and local numbering scheme is applicable. SDCAs, with a few exceptions, coincide with revenue tehsil / taluk.
86. SHORT DISTANCE CHARGING CENTRE (SDCC) means a particular exchange in Short Distance Charging Area declared as such for the purpose of charging trunk calls. Head quarters of SDCAs are generally SDCCs.
87. SIGNALING GATEWAY (SG): The SG provides the authorize interface between the VoIP network and the PSTN authorize network. It terminates SS7 links and provides Message Transport Part (MTP) Level 1 and Level 2 functionality. Each SG communicates with its associated CS to support the end-to-end authorize for calls.
88. SIM CARD Subscriber Identity Module (SIM) Card, which is fitted into a mobile station, after which the mobile station can be activated to make or receive voice/non-voice messages.
89. SPECIAL AUDITOR means Auditors listed in the panel of Auditors having same powers as of the company’s A Companies Act, 1956.
90. SUBSCRIBER means any person or legal entity, which subscribes to / avails of the service from the Licensee. I and ‘Subscriber’ have been used interchang
91. SUBSCRIBER TERMINAL (UT) (FIXED AND MOBILE TERMINAL OR HAND SET OR MOBILE STATION) means the equipment used by the subscribers to avail the service provided by the Licensee.
92. TARIFF means rates and related conditions at which telecommunication services within India and outside India may be provided including rates and related conditions at which messages shall be transmitted to any country outside India, deposits, installation fees, rentals, free calls, usage charges and any other related fees or service charge. The term tariff will have the same meaning as may be defined in the Telecommunication Tariff Orders to be issued by the TRAI from time to time.
93. TDSAT means Telecom Disputes Settlement and Appellate Tribunal.
94. TEC means Telecom Engineering Centre, Department of Telecommunications.
95. TELEPHONE MEANS an item of telecommunication apparatus capable when connected to the Applicable System, of transmitting and receiving uninterrupted simultaneous two way speech conveyed, or to be conveyed, as the case may be, by means of that System.
96. TRAI means Telecom Regulatory Authority of India constituted under the TRAI Act, 1997 as amended from time to time.
97. TRIPARTITE AGREEMENT means an agreement signed amongst the Licensee, Licensor and Lender in the prescribed format with a view to help and facilitate the financing of the Project to be set up by the Licensee, the terms and conditions of which, inter-alia, provide for transfer/assignment of License to a third party in the event of default by the Licensee, as defined therein.
98. Trunk Media Gateway (TMG): The TMG supports a trunk side interface to the PSTN and/or IP routed flows in the packet network. It supports functions such as packetisation, echo control etc.
99. UL(AS) means a Unified License (Access Service).
100. Universal Service Obligation Fund (USOF) means the fund established under Sub-section (1) of Section 9A of the Indian Telegraph Act, 1885.
101. Universal Service Obligation (USO) means obligation to provide access to telegraph services to people in rural and remote areas as prescribed by Govt. from time to time.
102. VSAT means Very Small Aperture Terminal.
103. WPC means Wireless Planning and Co-ordination Wing of the Ministry of Communications, Department of Telecommunications, Government of India.
104. YEAR for the purpose of the License Fee shall be the financial year ending 31st March and the four quarters shall respectively end on 30th June,
30 th September, 31st December and 31st March.